Friday, June 15, 2007

Call Him Sir Salman


Salman Rushdie today was knighted by the Queen of England for his services to literature. I tip my hat to him. He is married to possibly one of the smartest, most attractive women on the planet in Padma Lakshmi, i.e. the one on the left in the photo. And he is one of the best writers of the 20th Century along with being an incisive social commentator.

Unlike many literary choices for awards (Gunther Grass, you're on notice), The Satanic Verses is an actually amazing read. I read it back in high school. It was really trippy and only as I finished did I realize I wasn't ready for what I had just experienced. Just thinking about it makes me want to go on a hunt through my house to dig it back out again.

But, again, congrats to Sir Rushdie. He is very deserving of the award of knighthood, especially considering that Islam still has a fatwa on his head for it.