Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lost Productivity

I'm actually not talking about my awe-inspiring inefficiency here actually. I'm referring to the lost productivity of workers due to the presence of the oh-so-conformist Facebook and other social networking sites. Apparently, these sites are costing businesses around 260 Million dollars in lost productivity. Now, I've held a few jobs in my life. None of them were particularly stressful. I was easily able to waste a little bit of time while still being completely effective as an employee. All of my work would get done and no one was the smarter.

So, this whole efficiency argument doesn't hold weight with me because, in the end, it is about the work getting done. As long as the work gets done, I don't really care what they do in the in-between. But, this also might by the reasoning of a dirty hippie instead of a grubbing capitalist who would give me some lecture about not appreciating anything that I've gotten in life, even though he knows nothing about me.