Thursday, July 5, 2007

I Don't Want To, But I'm Obligated

In the ongoing fiasco of Iraq, a point of hilarity. From McClatchy:

A now-dead plan to ring Baghdad with a trench to keep out insurgents has found new life in Karbala, a predominately Shiite Muslim city 50 miles south of the capital.

Iraqi construction crews this month will begin digging a 12-mile-long trench to the west and south of the city of 1.4 million residents to help prevent car bombs and protect two holy Shiite shrines.

This is pretty good, but it gets better:

Local officials think that the trench will offer another layer of protection from insurgents, even though it won't surround the city.

Now, I'm not someone to make critical comments, but I'd have to say that this isn't one of the better ideas ever. It most likely will not protect the city and is another waste of money. But, then again, should I expect something different?