Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I've got nothing here

I'm just posting some music from some people/bands that I love.

Broadcast- Papercuts



This video got me into this band. I heard them a few times, but I didn't get it. Then I watched this video when I saw Warpvision (which is incredible by the way). Everything clicked, everything made sense. I love their aesthetic and their sound. I've been really into them since that day, which was in the fall of 2004.

Polly Jean Harvey- Down By The Water



Polly Jean Harvey is one of the best female artists of all time. I first heard this song on Beavis and Butt-head and it's stuck with me all of these years. It's a really creepy song, but its creepiness is becoming and actually endearing. I didn't come up on To Bring You My Love, the album this came from. The first album of hers I listened to was Is This Desire? I would argue that is her best album out of the whole bunch. It's beautiful, sincere, creative, and emotional.

Neither of these artists are willing to compromise, and that's what I really like about both of them. PJ Harvey has albums that have crossed over and had a sort of mass appeal, but, her best albums were the ones that she didn't, the ones where she fully exposed herself to the music. Even in the albums that did, you can still hear her voice and sound. You know that it is her. That, to paraphrase one of her songs, is the best thing about her.

Broadcast is an electronic group. I personally love electronica because, outside of club music, there is no mass appeal attempts within the form. Artists never compromise their sound and essentially do whatever the fuck they want and that has to be admired. Additionally, I know that Broadcast will never sell out because they are signed to Warp Records, which is like the top echelon of electronica. To give a more apples to apples type comparison, they are like the SST of Electronica. They give their artists pure freedom and they are the most innovative of the Electronica labels, having signed such artists as Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada, and Luke Vibert.

Alright, I'm done with my rant, so I will stop for now. night.