Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Harry Potter Mania Will Never Sweep Me

So, with the last Harry Potter book and movie being released, about a quarter of the American population is creaming themselves about it. Everyone applauds the fact that J.K. Rowling has gotten an entire generation of Americans (both adults and children) reading again instead of watching television all of the time.

While I have no problem with America actually reading a book instead of watching the tragedy that is summer reality programming or whatever the hell else people watch on television, I soundly have to say that I will never be one of the people who gets caught up in the sway of Harry Potter and his brand of misfits as I can't stand fantasy novels. I grew up with opportunities to read them all of the time, but my interest was lacking. Hell, I could barely pay attention during Xena: Warrior Princess, and it was foxy Lucy Lawless running around in a leather skirt. If a fantasy television show couldn't maintain my interest, I'm confident that the fantasy novels that I didn't like when I was 7-10, I won't like at 23.

So, Harry Potter fans, humor me and don't talk to me about the book. Not only do I not care, I'm never going to read them or watch the movies.

This whole discussion about Harry Potter raises an interesting question for me: why are adults reading books meant for kids? Kids can read Harry Potter, but why are adults? I know that you say that it's compelling, blah, blah, blah. But, there are other science-fiction/fantasy writers. Why not read them? Why not read a Ray Bradbury novel? Asimov? Le Guin? Dick? Huxley? Like I just don't understand the complete fascination of adults with these books. Call me a snob if you will; it isn't the first and most likely will not be the last. I'm just at a loss.