Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Casual Observation

George Bush has been working overtime around the country to sell us on this fancy pants war he's got us involved in against terrorism. But, I've noticed a trend in a lot of his more recent speeches. Aside from the new revival in baiting Americans to support a completely unjustified war against Iran for nuclear weapons that it isn't developing (I'm not an Iran sympathizer, I only work in facts and far-flung flights of fancy, but never the two at the same time. Also, note that I said new), Bush has been spending a lot of time around the older half of the American society, in particular war vets of the American Legion and the more literally named Veterans of Foreign Wars.

While I am proud of the work that these men and women have done, killing the enemies, getting wasted, doing a lot of drugs, getting the clap, etc., I have to wonder why Bush is obsessed with them. Has Bush lost so much clout that the only people who believe his war plans are those in these organizations? Or, is it that Bush is trying to be show that he does care about the past when he's not making worthless, factually inaccurate references to it? I don't know what it is, but I think that these groups are the only organizations who will accept the public liability that is the President of the United States of America.

For those familiar with their myths, there was the story of King Midas, the man who wished for the golden touch. Midas got his wish, but it eventually got in his way and led to his downfall. I'm not sure what the equivalent is for Bush, but all I know is that no one is trying to touch this cat at all. It seems that the only ones who want to accept him are war vets because, really, who is going to criticize a war vet? The vets are pretty much the only ones immune to the Bush touch. Almost getting your ass killed defending the country gives you that sort of flexibility. Anyway, they can stay the only ones immune to the Bush touch. I don't want any part of it.