Monday, April 9, 2007

Another Reason to Hate Laguna Beach

While it was mildly enjoyable to me for about five minutes, watching Laguna Beach became more and more of a chore as the season went on, as I had to feign interest in the goings-on of high schoolers in super wealthy Orange County, CA. Disregarding the lush surroundings and superlative camera work, it was watching a group of civilly disengaged, self-absorbed, under-read teenagers with weak vocabularies struggle through the faux difficulty of being extremely privileged and having every boy/girl fawning over them. As you can tell, I was not a huge fan of the show in any meaningful way. Now, I have less reason to like the show.

According to TMZ, pseudo-star of Laguna Beach Jason Wahler was arrested in Washington state this weekend. But this is not the outrage. The outrage is the hateful tirade that came upon being arrested:

Officer DePina, who wrote the report, says when Seattle PD arrived they found a "very intoxicated" Wahler passed out on the floor in a hallway on the third floor. When DePina tried to take Wahler into custody, the former reality star allegedly lashed out, calling the arresting officer "a nig**r, a fag**t, and a poor f**k." According to DePina, Wahler also stated, "that he was rich and would have my ass." Wahler, who was described as "belligerent and hostile," allegedy threated DePina a second time, saying, "Come down to L.A. county and get your ass kicked!"
Now, I don't necessarily like cops. I'd be the first person to go on record to say that. But! I would never contemplate swearing at a cop because that opens the door to getting my ass KICKED!

Regardless of this, Wahler should be ashamed of himself, but he does not need to make a public apology because his post-fact words don't mean shit to me. Honestly, I'm so sick of celebrities, regardless of their list status, making apologies for their language or actions. You do things. Bad shit happens. Unfortunately, it can be racist, homophobic, or sexist. While it might make a small group of people feel better and like the celebrity again, the hollow apologies make me feel the same as their original language: offended and disappointed. Any attempts to level with the public are only weak attempts to keep the money coming in and to not have people boycotting your performances. I would almost rather someone say, yea, I'm a homophobe and stand by it than issue a hollow apology. This would be disappointing for sure, but I would respect them more for standing on their laurels than trying to pull a bait and switch on me because I know that apology, no matter how many times they say it is sincere, is completely insincere.