Monday, April 23, 2007

What the Young Kids Like Now

As I was reading my rss feeds, I came across this article about a survey of Gen Y 'ers, the marketing-friendly stereotype that people my age have lived in (I am 22). According to the 100 person survey, the following fifteen brands are preferred:

  1. Apple
  2. Trader Joe's
  3. Jet Blue
  4. In-N-Out Burger
  5. Ben & Jerry's
  6. Whole Foods
  7. Adidas
  8. American Apparel
  9. Target
  10. H & M clothing stores
  11. Levi's
  12. Volkswagen
  13. Converse
  14. Vitamin Water
  15. Red Stripe Jamaican beer
As someone who has spent a large section of their life actively fighting off the messages that come across through advertising, I am upset that I like all but two things on this list and that's because I have never used either of their services, as I have never eaten at In-n-Out Burger after getting off of my cross-country on JetBlue. I'm torn as to whether this is a good thing or not anymore. It's clearly not, since I now fit into the dreaded "gen y" marketing typecast. They are going to start tracking me down and asking me how I feel about different labels and brands. And inviting me to important parties at clubs. As long as those bottles of booze keep coming and are free, they can get my presence.