Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Slow Down, Young Man

From Yahoo!:

Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi said he can only open his mouth to make a gap the size of a fingertip after being diagnosed with jaw arthritis.
Takeru Kobayashi is one of the most recognized athletes from Japan. His sport is competitive eating. Yes, competitive eating is considered a sport. Not by this commentator, but by others. Kobayashi is, according to the article, the founder of an organization to change my mind. It hasn't really succeeded. It's offends me to watch people indulge in such blatant displays of gluttony. It offended me when I watch anything about ancient Rome, and those are fictionalizations. The horror of it all is only amplified when watching in reality like going through rich people's houses on MTV Cribs. But, my morbid fascination with Cribs will be explored separately.

While I do hope that Kobayashi does get better from his injury, I hope that he has learned an invaluable lesson from this whole incident: eating fast is really hazardous to your health!