Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Why I Strongly Dislike/Hate PETA

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is a group that is very, very high on my shit list. Along with arguing for the rights of animals, which I think is a preposterous idea, they have a tendency of getting their nose in places it doesn't belong.

Today is a good example of this. MSNBC reported that PETA called out Michael Moore for being too fat to talk about health care in America. The leader of the organization said that Moore should switch to vegetarianism to lose weight and then maybe he would be suitable for PETA to talk about health care.

Firstly, he is overweight. But, this isn't a negative. If anything, this is a pro for Moore. He is someone who will most likely have to use the health care system anyway. So, why not let him stay at his current weight.

Secondly, this is why I have a vehement dislike, bordering hate, of vegetarians and vegans. I strongly dislike them because they try to hold this moral high ground over everyone else because they don't eat meat. That's fine. I could give two shits if you've decided to swap your hamburger for a gardenburger; that's not my concern. If anything, it's better for me as I can eat more meat. My problem comes with these very people chastising me and criticizing me for doing what I do. I don't tell you how to live your life; don't tell me how to live mine.

The same thing goes for Moore. He's living his life, trying to help the millions upon millions of people who don't have health insurance, and PETA's worried about how he looks. Along with being vain, it is distracting attention from the people who can benefit from the information contained in this movie. Thanks PETA. Thanks for nothing.