Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Talib Says It Right

I've seen Talib Kweli multiple times live. Each time, he's failed to disappoint. I think that he is a smart, talented dude who has been struggling since he dropped Reflection Eternal with Hi-Tek or living in the constant shadow of BlackStar, his infamous album with Mos Def. Regardless of my personal opinions towards his music, I would want him to be my voice of Black America, more so than Al Sharpton and Oprah, because he dissected the problem with rap in one paragraph. From SOHH:

"If you look at the CD sales of rappers who are talking about that stuff, it's on the decline. It's been on the decline for years. And it's not because it's misogynistic, and it's not because they calling them h*es, it's because a lot of it ain't good," he continued. "The art of the music has suffered where everyone wanted to get in the game and just hustle. There's nothing wrong with hustling and getting your money, but when no one focuses on the art, when the art means nothing then people are gonna stop buying."

I absolutely agree. No one is into the gangsta rap because the shit sucks. Listen to your radio, and you will understand what he's talking about. I'm glad that someone who is fairly well known actually pointed it out for once.