Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Daniel Ellis: American Hero

In the true spirit of America, Daniel Ellis used his ingenuity to solve a problem. His problem was how to avoid jury duty, a minor inconvenience that comes with being a registered voter. Ellis's idea: to say that he is a homophobic racist who is a continual liar.

Yes, that's right. I'd like you to read the transcript from the article too.

"You say on your form that you're not a fan of homosexuals," [Judge Gary] Nickerson said.

"That I'm a racist," Ellis interrupted.

"I'm frequently found to be a liar, too. I can't really help it," Ellis added.

"I'm sorry?" Nickerson said.

"I said I'm frequently found to be a liar," Ellis replied.

"So, are you lying to me now?" Nickerson asked.

"Well, I don't know. I might be," was the response.

Ellis then admitted he really didn't want to serve on a jury.

"I have the distinct impression that you're intentionally trying to avoid jury service," Nickerson said.

"That's true," Ellis answered.

I didn't say that America was always right. I just said that it had ingenuity. Unfortunately, this guy's ingenuity didn't get him very far. He was arrested after this display.