Thursday, July 12, 2007

Night Programming

Before I watched Argentina dismantle Mexico in Copa America last night, I watched The Pursuit of Excellence: Synchronized Swimming. From what I've read about it on the Internet, it is a documentary made by Australian Mark Lewis. Before you go off scoffing and say that a documentary about synchronized swimming would be boring, you are absolutely wrong.

From the initial introduction, Synchronized Swimming was a compelling look at a often overlooked sport. It taught me a lot about this sport and the people that get involved in it. The film's cinematography was compelling and featured a lot of slow motion. Synchronized Swimming reminded me of another documentary that I really liked: Paperboys. It was the exploration of a subculture of America that isn't frequently considered. It was also shot in the same sort of dispassionate, visually lush manner.

If you are looking for a couple of movies to watch, these are two that I highly recommend. And, yes, I have run out of things to actually post on.