Monday, July 9, 2007

One Last Thing

Today, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People had a funeral procession in Detroit, Michigan for the word Nigger. As it stands to them the word is dead.

While I appreciate the symbolism, this action is essentially hollow. The NAACP hasn't really been relevant to me since the 1960s since the Civil Rights era. This is an action that is appropriate for the Black establishment, which the NAACP is. Unfortunately, this action will not resonate with the young that still follows the lead of rappers. If rappers stop using the n-word, I believe that a larger section of the Black community will actually stop using it.

Don't take my cynicism the wrong way. I do think that it is a good thing that this symbolic gesture occurred, and I hope that a lot of people follow the lead. But, the realist it me knows that this won't really happen.

Now, that's it. Seriously. Anything else will wait until tomorrow.