Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Stand for Beth and Keira

I don't normally come to the defense of people in showbusiness, but I will here for Keira Knightley, the waifish and oft-criticized star of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. In an article in Metro, Knightley said about Lesbian garage goddess Beth Ditto of the Gossip:


'When she was performing she started taking all her clothes off. I stood there watching her strip, thinking, 'Oh my God, that woman is so sexy. She has the most amazing body.' She added she wishes she 'had a body like [Italian actress] Monica Bellucci, which is just so womanly, female and curvy'.

Everyone went batshit because she volunteered that she may want to be a bit on the heavy side, but I think that everyone is missing the point of her comment, which is put into further context by the comment about Monica Bellucci. Bellucci is a shapely, fully figured woman. She's not as big as Beth Ditto sure, but Bellucci and Ditto share comfort in their bodies, something that I don't think that Knightley has, especially as a very thin woman who is constantly criticized for causing the death of a youth. She just wants to be a larger, fuller bodied, more confident woman like Ditto and Bellucci. I hope that no one thinks that anything is wrong with her because of it, especially wanting to look like Bellucci. Yowza!

Additionally, while I'm not really that into larger ladies like Beth Ditto, she's hot in a very bizarre way. She oozes sexuality from every pore. Seeing her strip at a concert with all of the heaving flesh, there's something very erotic about it. Like Keira, I have to agree that she is sexy. So sexy: that's a bit of a reach.

Another hat tip goes out to Keira Knightley for actually wanting to slow down and live a normal life for a while. Lindsay Lohan could learn a lesson from Knightley, who has rejected partying and the hard-charging lifestyle preferred by the Young Hollywood jetset.

Lastly, Keira Knightley has warmed herself to me in a way that only she could:
The star also admitted that, unlike some celebrities who don't like to be seen wearing the same thing twice, she sometimes wears the same clothes for 'three or four days straight'.

'If I find something I feel comfortable in, I'll just stick with it,' she said.

I think that I'm one of the few people in the world impressed by someone saying they walk around in the same clothes for days at a time. I think I only am because I do it all of the time. Yea, I said it and I'm not ashamed.